Web Statistics

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Programmer? Developer? Engineer?

I recently read an article on the identity crisis of computer science fresh graduates. It was a reaction to an article he read, Techies learn to decode the career code. Essentially, the original article dealt with the difference and prejudice that comes with the titles "coder", "programmer", "developer", and "engineer". The terms coder and programmer are generally interchangeable.

...Programmers are those who are primarily involved in coding very well defined pieces of software, whereas 'developers' are more involved with design issues and have more freedom in their decision. The problem with engineer, on the other hand, is so much weight has been placed on this term, that you'd better know your stuff.
However for US-based George Tomkins the right identity means something, for better or worse, to most people.

He shares, " I went to the first Java One conference, circa 1995 and at an event, I walked past a group of hardcore Java Developers. At least, I assumed they were due to the characteristic, urban safari uniform. Anyhow, they looked at my badge, which said 'George Tompkins' Programmer. I'll never forget the audible scoff when one of them said under his breath 'programmer."


Personally, when I graduated with a BS in Computer Science major in Software Engineering, I really didn't want to be a programmer. There was, for me, a stigma attached to it. I wouldn't have scoffed in Tomkins' face, but I'd have had thought 'programmer'. Programmer to me was just a cut above being a robot. No need to come up with your own design or algorithm. Maybe that's why I didn't go into development initially. I worked for a consulting firm and had ready-made tools/applications to work with. There was no need for me to code/program. I only had to think of a solution and then make this solution concrete by using said applications.

Just the same, right now, I'm back in software development. Unlike George Alexander who fell in love with programming at the age of 12, I went into Computer Science because I couldn't imagine myself spending more than 4 years at school by being a lawyer or a doctor and I didn't want to become like my mother who's an accountant and I didn't want to take a rich kid's course like Psychology and also because I was used to being by myself, a course that requires a lot of interaction seemed like a bad idea at that time. The first 2 years in the university, I was just sailing with the current though I never copied classmates' assignments, tests and programs because my inflated ego couldn't accept the idea that I couldn't do them on my own. It was only in my 3rd year, when introduced to automata theory, turing machine, and lambda calculus that I began to like my course. It was also at this time when I decided to major in Software Engineering because I thought it was "hard". Unconsciously, I'd already set up my future of Programmer? Developer? Engineer? But I agree with them. What matters isn't the position, what matters is what you know and how good you can be.

So here I am now, still in Information Technology. My dream is to be one of the movers and shakers of the field. Lol. I don't have the makings such as this guy but it never hurt to dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home